(Este artículo está traducido al español. Haz click aquí si quieres leer la versión española)
Marketing, let us not forget, is an essential element of overall coordination of a company for the orientation to the customer. It is not just the vision purely promotional from which you must address the marketing strategy, but from a much more global perspective, we identify the wishes of the market, going several steps beyond developing a message of sale.
On the other hand, and especially in the industry of IT companies, the customer is being constantly bombarded by information, offers, products and services. This barrage of information, by way of defense for not having to evaluate it and establish criteria and comparative once after another, is instinctively categorized and catalogd by our brain unconsciously. This cataloguing leads us to that, without realising, the perception that we have as a consumer is a complex compendium of scales and rankings in different categories of feelings, preaceptadas impressions and perceptions.
Until now, everything seems to us very naturally…. If we are thinking in a corporate strategy for positioning of my products or services with regard to the brand image that I want to convey to my customers. In the same way we are also natural if we are trying to study the market to establish a strategy for the definition of new products or services.
What I propose in this article, and not only aligned with the retention of talent, is to put a seed to believe that those who have some degree of responsibility for the companies for which we work, we need to design how to move to the rest of the employees or «employable» the idea of company, its strategy, its motivation, its objectives, its «brand» to be considered part of it, not only an exchange of talent and work for pay.
So why not spun both perspectives and consider that employees are also customers of the company? Why we do not think in the same terms of loyalty, positioning, product strategy, communication or mark that we use for consumers but applied to the benefits on the human capital of the organization? Explore how to apply the basic concepts of marketing in the chain of internal communication of the company.
How to segment my market?
The concept and the utility of the segmentation is basically to identify common elements to form groups with characteristics, needs or preferences homogeneous so that we can decide actions on those groups rather than on individuals. In the traditional marketing is obviously a distinction between individuals and organizations, but we will focus exclusively on the case that applies, since the domestic market of the organization is individualized. Therefore the objective, if we want to move toward internal marketing in a company, would be to know the needs and preferences that are distinctive of groups of behavior for, among others:
- To adapt our product offering for the employee (flexible remuneration plans, contributions to pension plans, plans of retention of talent, career plans, advantages in services, training plans, etc.)
- To identify new opportunities of employee satisfaction, as intrinsically to the evolution of a company, its cultural change, generation, technological, etc. There are new groups or segments, with different needs, for those who have not been established products or policies that they meet.
- Facilitates the identification of competitors, so that we can study in a simpler way what other organizations offer certain segments
- Better adaptation to the needs of the employee. From a better understanding of its characteristics, can be adapted more successfully the offer.
The process of market segmentation
Basically the segmentation process of my target market, in this case the human capital of the Organization, consists of three areas of action:
- Selection of levels of segmentation
- Segmentation criteria selection
- Design and implementation of the segmentation strategy
We should think, from the perspective of internal marketing in a company what levels and what criteria are appropriate for designing a strategy for marketing and efficient communication. We will not do a thorough review of the levels and most common criteria or accepted in the industry, but will try to stick to the organizational level of internal marketing.
Level of segmentation:
It does not seem very realistic to think in use at what level of localization , one-to-one level or level of niche, because they are difficult to apply to the internal communication. This is not the case with a level of segment, more suitable for large groups of common characteristics very marked.
As segmentation criteria, we would have to assess geographical features (depending on the presence of the organization in different locations), socio-economic and psicográficas (personal or «style of life»).
Finally we should design the strategy, basically marked by a style of differentiation rather than by one undifferentiated, oriented to a resolve a segmentation very complicated, or a strategy of concentration, adequate in strategies for waiver of certain segments. (Think of a marketing inclusive within a company, not the opposite. Do not think evil of time :-))
Well, and once arrived here, which is not little, already can have the tools to select a first series of ideas with which to work, type (just by way of example, is not intended to be a list):
- The delegation of Seville may be interested in discounts for the AVE (geographical)
- in an engineering company, resources with a very high technical qualification and an extensive training based on certifications, in a high percentage, have a preference for activities involving risk, adventure or rare. Are concerned people that like to experiment and find out nonconformists and lovers of the «state of the art» not only in technology but in leisure, music, activities, forms of relationship. Activities of «Team Building» in which come into play these variables can be interesting for this group. (Psychographic)
- in a certain type of companies, above a certain salary range, it is common to find people who are deeply concerned about their education and training. Another example would be to dedicate a percentage of the remuneration to training, providing the company an amount equivalent. (socio-economic)
do truth that it is now you are happening many other only with the «effort» of having to read here the article? If this is not the case, I feel truth he made lose the time and I hope that other post are of greatest interest. But if we are on the right road… I encourage you to continue reading.
How is my human capital? Market Research
The main objective of market research in marketing is to help the organization to compete in a highly competitive context and change through market knowledge, whatever it is, as accurate and current as possible. Do not forget that market research is a «tool» for decision-making, not an end in itself and helps us orient ourselves to our customers.
In the case that concerns us there is, from my point of view personal and non-transferable, two prisms from those who approach the market investigation: taking as a market the human capital of the company or considering as my organization market and competition. For me both are truly fundamental, not only the first.
Let us not forget that we want, in a lasting way, position our company as a brand «desable» by those who work or can work on it, understand their needs to provide them with the best services (from a perspective of HR) and to maintain and promote the knowledge against competing firms that are eager to steal those employees strategic for our business. Therefore on the one hand we have to investigate the relevant information on these areas and on the other we have to be able to manage it and convert it into competitive advantages.
Why do we not apply the techniques and tools of market research in our two «markets»? Some example, to aim mode, we are obvious in the case of orientation to external customer, either consumer or industry, not the partner in a natural way with the human capital. Why? Probably because it required an exercise something disruptive to achieve this.
- CRMs to maintain the historical relationship with the employee to have a common and coherent speech in the time, with a clear strategy. Any relational marketing policy, would apply.
- Satisfaction surveys with our products employee loyalty
- to include that information in a BI to apply Metric, control boxes of indicators of satisfaction or dissatisfaction, find correlation between absenteeism and happiness, absenteeism and professional satisfaction, absenteeism and training using techniques that are the order of the day of mining, analytical or ML
- include external information, competition or similar sectors, let me stand within the context of accessibility of my employees
- framework and advisory panels
- information systems and methods of analysis of demand for the
- «Campaigns» of promotion controlled for testing or quantification of the potential market
- Focus Group
- …. and many other hundreds that our gurus of MK can develop in a couple Of days!
We are already a little tired of reading, right?. A stop on the way and we ended up with strategies of distribution and communication and corporate image.
Distribution Strategies applied to human capital
In regard to targeted marketing to the human capital of a large organization it is possible that we are not trying to define channels of distribution of the product, etc. But we must devise strategies of distribution of the benefits, benefits or products that are part of those policies that we have included in our internal marketing strategy.
Some channels of promotion, request, recruitment (if you apply the case) and delivery of the product, advantage or service is crucial to encourage their use by the worker as its positive impact on the brand of the company. It is very possible that not be worth looking more deeply into the theory of distribution channels, conflicts and competences within the channel, recruitment, distribution or merchandising. If you are interested in, do not hesitate to contact me and we can discuss the topic or even include more detailed on this area.
You can also give you a tour of this link and watch the video that promote
Communication and corporate image
Is no longer enough to have good products that offer, at a competitive price and that the distribution is adequate and efficient, has to communicate, convince and creating a brand. There fall in both the corporate image liza as a correct communication. Let us not forget that the communication, promotion, advertising, etc. is the fourth P of the marketing mix (Price, Place, Product and Promotion) and nor must we forget what are the functions of the fourth «P»
Therefore we will have to create a communication channel «integral» covering all these functions and align with the image you want to project the Organization not only toward the outside, but of doors inward and alienated with the strategy of vision, mission and values of the company. And when we say integral we refer not only integral to all channels of communication verbal or written (which of course they should be aligned), but to everything that accompanies the message and what power or detracts from. Do not imagine that an engineering company that is participating in the construction of a particle accelerator to provide its engineers a phone buttons in the Kitde Welcome to the company if it wants to give an image of technological company forefoot, right? Because of that we are talking about, that everything has to accompany the message.
We will be relying, as in the external marketing, of the tools of communication that we have at our disposal, as personal communication and direct internal publicity of the company with the achievements and brand of the organization, promotion of benefits, services and products, personal monitoring of human capital to generate a climate of trust and feedback or even sponsorship of innovative ideas of members of the company. We only have to make a little effort of applying techniques and tools from the point of view that you were introduced at the beginning of the article. The human capital of the organization is also a client and there are to be oriented to him and to their needs; that will be for the benefit of all. In another article of the Blog treatment on the whys of failure in the digitization of business and one of the reasons for this is the lack of communication. You can see on this link, (click here)
Plan of Implementation, control, evaluation and continuous improvement.
Finally, as operational consequences of all of the above we need a plan of implementation and what is more important to assess whether the objectives set in the plan are on track, analyze and search options for improvement, but like everything that is part of the management of plans and projects we leave for another occasion. How true that after 2086 words is grateful?
If you have read to the end the article I thank you for the dedication and please do not hesitate to contact me and share it with those who believe that they can have a concern similar to ours.